Saturday, February 27, 2010

V.I.P.

Friday night we watched Dan's temperature slowly climb. I remember that feeling from before. Our trusty thermometer beeps and I hold my breath and hope that it isn't above the 100.5 cut-off. Friday at about 8:00pm it reached 100.8. So we called the the hospital and they told us to pack up and get up to the hospital.

When we got here we found out that Dan's counts were extremely low. Most people's white blood cell count stays at about 10. When the effects of chemo set in, they may drop as low as three. Yesterday, Dan's were at 0.4. Wow! Good thing we came up to the hospital! Even though it's kind of a hassle to come all the way up here, I'd rather him have a low count here than a low count at home. The I.V. antibiotics will assist his immune system in fighting off bugs because he can't really do that on his own right now.

Okay, so now for the fun part... We totally got the V.I.P. room! Room #1 has always been very mysterious. It is hidden behind a few doors and I can only sneak a peak here and there. When we got here and realized all the rooms were full except for #1 I was so excited!! This room is reserved for people who donate to the hospital, or those who just want the nice room and are willing to pay and extra $100 dollars a night -- out of pocket! It has an amazing view with three different windows that give a panoramic view of the whole valley. I even have my own room! With a real bed! (well... when I say "real" I mean it's a hide-a-way bed inside a couch). And there's a microwave and refrigerator and two T.V.'s in our room!! Can you believe it? We're practically on vacation.

Dan's feeling good. I'm so happy he is. We're so blessed!

8 comments:

meg said...

Talk about "lemonade from lemons"! You are so amazing. We are all praying for you in this house- even Whitney. We love you

meg said...

Hi Dan this is Ethan. Here is a good joke. I will tell you the answer a little later today. You can try to guess the answer to the joke and put it on my blog.

Why did the man put his dog on a locomotive?

JENNE said...

Hey Melanie,
Hoping Dan is feeling better today. Thanks for letting us know how everything is going - "cause we all are praying for small miracles, and BIG blessing for you guys.
Love Ya!
Jennefer

meg said...

Dan, I feel like a horrible mom! Ethan was begging all night to look to see if you responded and I told him after I was done with dinner. Anyway, I went straight to a meeting, so Mark and Ethan looked at your blog instead of ours-and didn't think that you responded. So I am sure when Ethan gets up in the morning he will be glad to find out that you responded. Hope you are feeling well tonight. I tried calling Mel but couldn't get a hold of her. Love you both

Bekah and Jim said...

You are so funny Mel! I love you guys! So where are these pics of this amazing suite!!? :) I think they should let you have it everytime you are there. Miss you guys TONS!!

meg said...

This is Ethan. Your answer is:

He wanted to "train" him

Kasaundra said...

I'm dying to see you two and help in any way I can! You're constantly in our prayers. It warms my heart to read your blog and I can't help but feel that you two are such a blessing to each other and everyone around you.
I'm serious about visiting or helping or anything!! I'm home all day with my babies and can help. JT has also made it very clear to me that he loves you two and will support you in any way he can! We love you two!

G'ma said...

Hi, Melanie

I just took a look at your blog today
and I must say, you and Dan are an amazing pair. I want you to knkow that you are in my prayers.

Love,

Jessica's G'ma Joan