Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deja Vu

Well, I'm sure most of you have already heard that Daniel's cancer has returned. Actually I hesitate to say "returned". Last March, when they told Dan that he was in remission, there were tiny little spots on his lungs. The doctors said that these could be lots of different things, including scar tissue left over from his previous lung surgeries. As long as they didn't grow, there was no reason to worry. That has been the case for the last four scans. However, last Monday we went in for our routine scans that we do every three months and it showed three spots have grown. Two nodules on his right lung and one on his left. So it is not new cancer, but it is cancer and so it is titled a "reoccurance".

It was almost like finding out that he has cancer all over again. Since that moment it has been a weird series of deja vu. Many thoughts have run through my mind. Some are similar thoughts, but already it's so different. Dan and I went home and immediately my reaction was "What lesson did I miss, or what did I fail to do last time that I need to do this time?" I thought there was something that was missing or that I did wrong and Heavenly Father needed to test us further. Then, my wise husband reminded me that sometimes tests are not about passing or failing. Heavenly Father is not sitting up there with a checklist and pen while we are enduring a trial. Sometimes it's just about proving our love to God. Dan reminded me that Job was a prophet, he probably didn't have a ton of learning to do, but he did have to prove his love to God. I'm not at all comparing us to Job, (our life is wonderful) but I did appreciate that lesson Dan taught me because it takes a lot of pressure away knowing that I didn't necessarily "fail" last time.

So now, here we are back at the Huntsman, on the 4th floor, watching the Olympics and watching the chemotherapy slowly drip into Dan. With every drop, I pray that it's the one that will kill the last live cancer cell in Dan's body. Talk about deja vu.

We're so grateful for the love we've felt. It is so wonderfully surprising that so many people aren't tired of praying for us yet! Thank you for not forgetting, because we feel the strength coming from your prayers.

Dan will now do 4 cycles of a couple drugs that his body hasn't seen yet (good news!). Methotrexate, etopaside and ifosfomide are all used with pediatric osteosarcoma and Dan is still young enough for it to work. After that, a scan to see if the nodules have gotten smaller. If they have then he is a good responder to the chemo and there will be four more cycles and then two more lung surgeries to remove the remaining nodules. Then another leg surgery to repair Dan's leg that still isn't healing. So, we've got a road in front of us. But one day at a time. You can do anything one day at a time.

Dan's going to beat this. Don't worry.

16 comments:

wenselgang said...

Together, together, together everyone
Together, together, come on lets have some fun
Together, were there for each other every time
Together together come on lets do this right.
We're all in this together
When we reach
We can fly
Know inside
We can make it
We're all in this together
Once we see
There's a chance
That we have
And we take it.....

That's me serenading you!!!

Ally said...

sweet, sweet little family. you probably don't remember me at all (i'm emily's friend Ally from ricks). I just wanted you to know I'll be thinking of you and Dan and praying for a speedy recovery! you know, sometimes people get so caught up in dodging the rain, that they miss the rainbow. Sounds like you two are indeed enoying the sometimes bumpy, sometimes very bumpy ride. xoxo

Shopkins said...

Mel i'm so grateful you blog. I had no idea until I read your blog. You two are such an inspiration and i know Heavenly Father is watching out for you too, knowing you can get through this trial once again. Drew and i think and pray about you two often! Miss you!!

liz and lyman said...

We love you both!
liz

Katie said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. I am amazed by your strength and faith. Joey and I will be praying for you and Dan.

Denise said...

Dan and Melanie. How would anyone ever get tired of praying for you guys. We were so sorry to hear the news, but are sending all our love and the best healing vibes that we can summon!
Ken and Denise

Courtney and Landon Fowler said...

Mel! You need to update your blog more often so I can stock you more haha. Thank you for this post to keep me up to date. I love you girl, even though it's been forever since we've talked. I consider you one of my friends! I'm up in Salt Lake every day right by the Huntsman. I'd love to come and see you. Please let me know if I am allowed! or If I can bring you guys lunch or anything okay! I love you and pray for you guys! you are my hero!

Elisabeth said...

I love you Mel. You're in our prayers!

Rachel said...

You are amazing. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Bekah and Jim said...

I love you guys! I don't know how you two remain so faithful. You are definitely an inspiration to all around you! I wish we could be there by your side while you go through this crap again. Love you!

Erin said...

You guys are amazing!!! Praying never gets old! you guys have tons cheering you on. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

meg said...

We are your number one fans! And even though we are not there in person, I hope you can feel our prayers on your behalf. We love you all so much!
I'm with Em... that song is very applicable! Lately all I hear in this house is High School Musial and Hannah Montana. Abby gets the songs stuck in my head, even Whit knows some of the songs! So I decided to add a song(Thanks to Abby) from Hannah Montana...

"Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking

I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going

And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on"

love you both...

Chace & Rivka said...

Hey Hedlunds, I spy on you occasionally and am sorry about this latest news, but, as always, you seem to be dealing with it with your characteristic grace and faith. Hang in there! We're thinking of you.

BJ and Amber said...

Hi Dan and Mel- You guys are such strong people, I know you'll beat this. You are in our prayers. Mel, if you're looking for something to do...have you read the Pioneer Woman blog? Check her out and you'll have to read her entire love story! She is very entertaining. We miss you and hope all goes well.
Love, BJ & Amber

Amanda said...

Hi Melanie - I don't know if you remember me. I am Emily's roommate from the Riviera. I have been following your blog ever since Emily first wrote about Dan's diagnosis but have never commented. I wanted to let you know that you and Dan are in our prayers! Your faith is so inspiring.
PS When did you grow up? Holy moly - it seems like you should be about 16 now. Does that mean I'm old??

Mark said...

Can you believe my wife learns her life lessons from Hannah Montana???? I think we should be singing the theme song to Super Dan & Wonder Mel! You guys are amazing!

alright, I've gotta admit the Hannah Montana song is kinda catchy....