Monday, September 29, 2008

The Difference Between a Billionare and Us? A Billion Dollars... and a Heart of Gold

Just so you know, you are now reading the blog of TV stars. Does a 30 second spot on national TV qualify us as stars? Maybe not, but it was still an awesome experience. Just this past weekend, the Glenn Beck show was here in Salt Lake taping a special on the Huntsman Cancer Institute. It was actually to honor the man behind the hospital because Glenn is a huge Jon Huntsman fan (just like we are!). So Dan was invited to go be on the show with four other patients to have an opportunity to thank Mr. Huntsman. Dan said something to the effect that because the news of his cancer came three weeks after we were married, we were still in the honeymoon phase. It was scary to think we might have to be apart and Dan might have to do this alone... but he didn't. Because of the facilities, we were able to be together throughout EVERY minute of Dan's treatment. Because of Mr. Huntsman's vision of what a hospital should be, he was able to heal surrounded by his family. Anyway, I didn't say it as well as Dan so you'll just have to watch it air on Thanksgiving.

Jon Huntsman is a self made billionaire, and is going to die a poor man because all of his money is going into his hospital. With the economy the way it is, no one is even dreaming of expanding, but the Institute just announced that they are doubling in size and construction is going to start very soon. It's all possible because of the generosity of the Huntsman family. Wow, what an example of selflessness.

But you know what, that's not even the best part about him. The best part is how humble and loving he is. When we got to meet him after the show, he was actually thanking US! It was very humbling. We love him! (...and it was fun to meet Glenn Beck, too!)
(What am I doing?! Obviously too busy to look at the camera :) oh well...)

Well I hope I didn't go overboard with praise... but I just wanted to let you know all the things that were floating around in my head as we were able to meet him. He's a great example. Maybe after Daniel and I are millionaires we'll build a hospital too!

4 comments:

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

This is like the best news I've gotten in awhile. I'm so happy you started up a blog. We have one too you can check out, (as if you have the time) but it could be fun. I'm glad to hear you are both doing so well. You are both amazing. I can't believe I know someone who is famous now!

meg said...

What an amazing experience! I'm sorry but I have to admit that my favorite part of your recap of that awesome day was the breast cancer survivor who had those awesome sayings on her t-shirts. Why did you leave that out in your post?

Mark said...

um... I hate to put it this way, but I think you guys owe me a dollar - so the difference between Mr. Huntsman and yourselves is a Billion and one Dollars ;) on the bright side, you most suredly have the "Heart of Gold" covered, oh and the bone of titanium too.....

Shopkins said...

How fun! So jealous you got to meet Glenn Beck! I love listening to him! Thats such an amazing experience, well deserved! Hope all is well Mel and Dan! You guys look great! love you both!