Sunday, July 25, 2010

Here We Go!

Surgery #6 is fast-approaching. I can already say that it is tomorrow! Tomorrow, July 26th Dan goes in for a right thoracotomy with metastesis resection. What does that mean? Basically the doctor will deflate his lung, cut him open below his shoulder blades, and spread apart his ribs so that the surgeon can feel every inch of his right lung and take out any cancer nodules that he feels. It's a pretty intense surgery. Dan will wake up with tubes coming out of every part of his body and looking something like this....

With intense pain that requires an epidural, and probably extremely nauseous, with a cut that will eventually look like this...


but he will have a CANCER FREE RIGHT LUNG! So in the end, it will be worth it.


Dan is a stud. I've said that before, but it's so true. I asked him yesterday if he was scared. He said "I'm not scared, I'm ready". Wow. So many times I wish it was me going in for surgery and not him, but then I realize there is now way I could be as brave as him.

So once again we ask for your prayers. I really do feel the power of all your prayers lifting us. Especially on surgery days. The comfort that comes is from Heavenly Father, and it's because you are asking Him on our behalf. I will never be able to say enough thank you's to you for that.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

We will definitely pray for you!

Shauna said...

You are definitely in our prayers!

Jacob & Clarissa said...

Good luck! We will be thinking of you and praying for you. We wish we were there to help. If there's anything we can do for you from a distance, let us know!

Katie said...

Go Dan!!! We will be praying for you. Please let us know how we can help during recovery!

Bekah and Jim said...

Love you two!!! Can't wait to come harass you guys in a couple of weeks! Good luck!

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

Prayers said, Fingers and toes crossed. Good luck to you both.

Unknown said...

Thumbs up to you too, Dan! Many prayers and good thoughts are coming from all your friends at Great Bend. FYI, Melanie you sound like quite a studett yourself. (Not sure if that is a word) Thank you for taking such good care of him!!