Sunday, March 28, 2010

This is the last night in the hospital... at least for another couple of weeks. This hospital stay has been different. The nausea hasn't been THAT bad, but there has been something else. Dan has been very anxious. Now, those of you who know Dan will know how weird this is. Dan is someone who is normally very laid back so I know this is from the ifosfomide they are giving him. The doctors warned us about this side effect but I've never really seen it until this time.

His skin is crawling and all he talks about is leaving this room. He's very uncomfortable but he can't find the right words to describe it. It's kind of bizarre. This has led me to the conclusion that physical ailments are much easier to deal with than mental and emotional ones.

He tries to watch TV to pass the time, or play games on his iPod touch, but it's just not working. The only thing that seems to calm him is when I sing. Ha! Imagine that! I know it sounds crazy... in fact, I'm pretty sure it's what is causing the nausea :) He also likes it when I just talk. Not like a conversation with him, but just hearing the sound of my voice. I think sometimes we want something from technology that it just can't give us. Maybe sometimes we should turn off the TV, iPod, computer, etc, and look for the relaxation and unwinding in the voice of our loved ones. We all could use more face to face conversation and interaction.

Wow, I don't know how that turned into a soapbox comment about society. But, there you go.

On a lighter note, the Huntsman hospital had an Easter Egg Hunt yesterday for the patients and their families. All of my neices and nephews got to be there. It was so much fun! I could account for about 75% of the kids there and it made me feel pretty good. They were all very eager to tell people about their Uncle Dan and how cool he is. We sure love those cute kids. Dan didn't feel well enough to join in the festivities, so afterward they all brought some eggs to decorate his room. They are hanging from his bed and IV pole (the eggs, not the kids. haha).

Only one more cycle to go!! After his next cycle they will scan his lungs. Depending on how that looks they will decide what to do next. Maybe more chemo, surgery, or radiation. We hope that this chemo has made those nodules in his lungs shrink, but we'll see. If there's one thing I know, it's that the Lord is in charge. He is guiding our life, and whatever happens is part of a big plan. This plan is sometimes confusing, hard, sad, and scary but it is always hopeful. We always can find hope and peace when we need it. All I have to do is ask (and Dan and I ask all the time!) and the peace comes. That's how I know who is in charge.

6 comments:

Fancynancy said...

First of all...I love the pictures!!! I need a copy of one to put on my family table. I just finished reading about this hospital stay. My first thought was "dang! I shouldn't have mentioned that sex change show to Hedlund!!!!" My next thought was how AMAZING you both are!!!! It was just last week that Dan told me how much he loved an audience and now he is THE audience and letting Mel sing to him! Every time I talk to one of you or read something you have written I am overwhelmed with love for you two and so grateful to my Heavenly Father that we have you in our lives! Hang in there...listen to an angel and remember how much we love you!!!!!!!

Bekah and Jim said...

Love you guys!!

Erin said...

you said what i needed to hear today. SO for that I THANK YOU. You are amazing melanie and i would want you to sing to me too. You are adorable and Dan is so lucky to have you.

Kavin & Ali said...

I just barely found out about everything and I am so sorry! my heart aches for you to have to go through this again but I am so amazed by your faith and positive attitude.. what a great example you show. I hope both you and dan are doing okay and just so you know we'd love to come visit soon and do anything we can to help.. we are thinking of you and you're in our prayers! We're so blessed to know such wonderful and beautiful people.. hope to see you soon..

Love,
Ali and Kavin

Here's my number if you wouldn't mind texting me so I have yours.
8016446906

Anna said...

Two words for the two of you: YOU ROCK! Thanks for your, always positive, inspiring words and your great sense of style! Man you two look good no matter what the situation. You are fun and fantastic examples of faith and love. Thanks for letting us be your friends. Rob and I are better for it.

Katie said...

Hey, it's been a few years, but I've been thinking about you guys a lot. Anna told me about your blog, and I wanted to say hi and let you know about my blog in case you want to keep in touch. (katieshappylife.blogspot.com)
I just heard that Dan is going through more chemo. I didn't even know his leg didn't heal right. I guess our problems with hemeroids and hearing loss and crazy head implant surgeries are not too bad. Thanks for writing about all this. I have always found a lot of comfort in talking to you. Josh and I will be praying for you two. Even if it doesn't feel like it all the time, you are really strong and doing amazing.